Pages

Monday, March 16, 2009

Hand Powered Flour Mills

I received an e-mail today from a nice fellow asking where he could obtain a hand-powered grain mill. I knew that they were still being produced, but I was at a loss as to where you could buy one. I did a little snooping and here you go Wayne! This looks like a good article on what to look for in a mill. Now keep in mind that I have never used a hand-powered mill, but the one that kept popping up in my searches was the Country Living Mill . It sounds as though it is quite an effort to use these mills...perhaps a couple pulleys and a stationary bicycle are just the ticket to work off some of the calories from all those tasty buns you make with your home ground flour!

3 comments:

  1. I have a Country Living Grain Mill. It works very well and is not too hard to use. I am a small lady and find that I need to have a break after grinding about 3 cups of wheat, but my husband can grind more in no time. It is a very solid mill.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would add a recommendation of using a Vita-Mix for grinding grains (dry blade option needed), once this ambitious fellow's arms or legs are exhausted. We have been very impressed with ours and although pricey ($600) it saves a lot of time doing numerous kitchen tasks from grinding grains to kneading dough to instant soups and beyond. We feel it has been worth the expense and should theoretically last a life-time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just cancelled my order for a Retsel Little Arc mill . All the research I did led me to this MADE IN USA mill. I cancelled the order after finding your site and your ground products.

    ReplyDelete