Pages

Monday, July 24, 2006

Bringing the pasture to the pigs!


With the drought and heat, the pigs pasture simply isn't keeping up with the pigs. I have not had the chance to get any fencing done lately in order to give them new pasture...so, I am doing the next best thing. I am bringing the pasture to them. It is simple actually. I go out each evening and mow two full bags of clippings from the pasture down by the pond. This is somewhere under 100 pounds...probably closer to 80 actually. The pasture by the pond is shaded and close to the water, so it is lush and fresh. It is very rich in clovers too, which is perfect. With the bags of clippings, I spread them out amongst the chickens and pigs. It is a regular feeding frenzy as everyone loves the fresh salad! I can't help but think that next year will be so much better...even if we have another summer of drought, we will have an extra field of pasture. Chicken pens will be out there along with some electric paddocks for the porkers.

As you can see in the photo, Bubbles sure loves his greens.

No comments:

Post a Comment